I can’t believe Christmas is less than two weeks away! We have been in full blown holiday mode and it has been truly a wonderful season. This is the first holiday season in three years that hasn’t included social worker meetings and limitations on sharing our Christmas spirit. And while I don’t regret any of those years and would repeat it all over again in a heartbeat, it is nice to have this season to just be a family.
Over the last few years we’ve enjoyed making Christmas traditions for our little family. Especially now that the boys are older, it is so fun experiencing the magic of Christmas through their eyes. I shared some of our favorite traditions below, and would love for you to share yours in the comments! I love hearing what everyone loves to do this time of year with their family and friends.
KING CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS
- Christmas Lights– we do at least one evening of going and seeing everyone’s Christmas lights. Because we live in California we are able to walk through the streets that are decked out and it’s so fun, especially with some hot chocolate!
- Bake Christmas cookies– We make sugar cookies at least once, mostly to have fun decorating them! & we always bake at least one or more different types throughout the season
- Advent Calendar- we always do some kind of advent calendar . This year I found one that had a little bag for each day. On some days the boys’ get a little treat, but most of the days there is a paper inside with a Christmas activity to do, such as make a gingerbread house, or bring someone a Christmas surprise. It’s been fun to do this with the boys!
- Christmas Eve Service– Whether we stay home for Christmas or are up in Oregon, it’s important to us that attend a Christmas Eve service to celebrate our Savior .
- One Present on Christmas Eve– my dad is Swedish, and it’s a Swedish tradition to open presents Christmas Eve, so growing up we would open gifts on Christmas Eve and do stockings on Christmas Day. We’ve adjusted it a bit over the years so now we each open one gift on Christmas Eve to keep the tradition.
- Christmas Movies! – We try to watch as many Christmas movies as possible ! This is honestly more Zach and I than the boys, but we have introduced them to a few classics this year that they loved!
- Reading the Christmas Story before presents- This is a tradition my dad started, but before we open gifts on Christmas Day we all read out of the Bible the story of Jesus.
We captured some photos of us baking sugar cookies with the boys and they were too precious not to share!
photography by: jessica susana photo | jessicasusana.com